Friday, October 15, 2010

The Rescue

After checking it out ,I said yeah, thats pretty much what I'm looking for. Now Richard's the type that likes to get things done, a quality that I lack, so he says ,"let's get the forklift and pull it out."
"NOW?!?", I ask , "Sure why not, we got time." he replies.



 Breaking free of the death grip the blackberries had on this old girl. She's been sitting in this field for at least a few years, and in another field for another few years before that. Cleaning out the garbage inside, I discovered a power bill, from 1995, it had a Salem,Oregon address,
Rose Haven Mobile Park. It's not a full blown Mobile Home Park, but one of the smaller types that take travel trailers, and this particular park is located in the seedier part of town. So I'm thinking that this old girl hasn't been used for a good decade, if not more.
Those vines had grown over the top and down the other side, the rear end was covered and they were working their way toward the front, and total engulfment.At this point I don't even know what this trailer is, just that it's an old ,cool, Canned Ham. Tuns out that it's a 1968 Aloha Brand Travel Trailer, made right here in Oregon, originally in Aloha Oregon,west of Portland,hence the name, then moved to Beaverton Oregon.
    




 Getting her out,we ended up having to use the forklift because there were beehives in front of the tongue, so we didn't have a straight shot and couldn't hook up to it. You can barely see a corner of one of the hives in the lower right near the tire.

Now this is where the problems begin, I've always fancied myself a farmboy, but truth be told, I'm a flat land city slicker, born and raised. The fork started sliding on the tongue, so I chained it to the fork, but instead of loose, and room to move, I wrapped it nice and tight....BAD IDEA! The forklift and trailer were at a 90 degree angle to each other, but when it started coming out, it also straightened out toward a 180 degree with each other. Needless to say, it bent the #@%$* out of it, more on that later.

Best sign out for now, daylights burnin'.
                                                                                  Take care my friends

2 comments:

  1. I hope you keep us posted on the Aloha. We have one that I believe is the same year. I have a few photos posted on my blog at the link below. I have more if you need any reference pictures. We have done a little work to it but it's not perfect like some of the refurbish jobs I've seen. Looking forward to more posts. Thanks, Jamie

    http://midcenturymania.blogspot.com/2009/12/loving-our-canned-hams.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just purchased the same exact trailer as well. Can we get an update on your process? So exciting!

    ReplyDelete